We all love a bit of chocolate. But what if you could actually enjoy a brownie without the guilt of those packed with sugar and other nasty ingredients.....well I have just the ticket.
For those of you following a gluten free eating plan, or who are celiac this would be a great addition to the family recipe list and ideal for those days when you just feel like something a bit special, that you know will support your health and not cause you any unwanted symptoms.
Here it is, adapted from www.livinghealthywithchocolate.com
GRAIN FREE CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
1/2 cup raw cacao (health foods store or online shops carry it)
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 tsp gluten free baking soda
1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 organic egg
1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk (canned)
4 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tbsp. nut butter or seed butter
1/4 cup of cacao nibs or chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl mix well
2. Combine all wet ingredients into a seperate bowl and mix through
3. Next mix the wet into the try and combine
4. Fold through the nibs or nuts if using them
5. Preheat oven to 175C and line an 8x8 baking tray, pour the batter into the tray and bake for 15 minutes (check it's done by inserting a tooth pick or knife - if it comes out clean its done)
6. Cut into 9 servings and freeze any extra for a snack another day
Serve with a 1/2 cup of homemade banana ice cream or 1/4 cup of coconut yogurt with a sprinkle of cacao powder and nibs or nuts.
Let me know what you think of this recipe and if you make any alteration that have worked better for you. Happy & Healthy Eating.