Since going gluten free and yeast free it is often times difficult to find a really good bread recipe and something that you can snack on and not feel guilty about. When searching through the internet I found this amazing recipe called the 'Life Changing Loaf' and like the author mentions it also changed my life.
It is so easy to prepare, only requiring one bowl to mix everything through and then you have a gorgeous hearty loaf that you can serve with homemade soup, as a snack, or sliced with fresh avocado and sea salt.
Give it a try you won't be disappointed.
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup flaxseeds
1/2 cup almonds
1 1/2 cup of organic oats (not jumbo)
2 tbsp. ground chia seeds
4 tbsp. psyllium husks
1 tsp. himilayan sea salt
3 tbsp. rice bran oil (because I had it on hand) but you can use coconut oil or ghee melted
1 1/2 cups filtered water
1. Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix through
2. Then add in the wet ingredients and combine until it forms a wet mixture
3. Line a small loaf tin with parchement paper or use a silicone loaf tin and pour the mixture into the pan
4. Smooth down the top surface and allow to sit for 2 hours or overnight
5. Then preheat your oven to 175C
6. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from the tin and flip upside down on a rack and continue to bake for an additional 30-40 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool
8. Slice and enjoy with your favourit topping (you can also slice and freeze for later)
A delicious alternative to bread packed with omega 3, 6, fibre, magnesium, potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, zinc, selenium, protein, B Vitamins, Vitamin E, and much more.
Adapted from: My New Roots
I love gnocchi....it is such a nice alternative to pasta with a much more filling consistency. The great news is that it is so simple to make at home with only 3 ingredients. Now I must admit that I haven't always made my own gnocchi at home, having purchased 'healthy' gluten free alternatives (which still contain many additives and preservatives). But this week I decided it was time to dive into homemade gnocchi to see what it would be like.
The results were wonderful. They were so simple to make and be mixed with any ingredients that you would like. I decided to mix mine with some pesto, wild alaskan salmon and fresh spinach.
2 large sweet potatoes (peeled, chopped and steamed)
2 cups of gluten free flour (I used doves farm)
1 tsp. himalayan sea salt
1. Steam the sweet potato until soft
2. Add to a large bowl and mash with a fork or masher
3. Add in half the flour and mix through, then add in the second half of the flour and mix. You should have a soft dough consistency.
4. Add in the sea salt and mix, you may need to add a bit more flour if the consistency is still too sticky.
5. Next take small pieces of the dough and roll them into small oval shapes and set them aside.
6. Once they are all rolled out heat a pot of water until it is boiling
7. Add in the gnocchi 10 at a time and cook until they begin to float towards the top of the pan
8. Remove them and continue to cook the rest of the gnocchi
9. Then heat a pan over medium heat, add your cooked salmon, spinach and pesto, toss through you gnocchi and enjoy.
This recipe does make quite a lot of gnocchi so if you want to freeze some of it for another meal in portions that may be a good idea. We just had the leftovers the following day.
I hope you enjoy these.
Adapted from: Madelaine Shaw