If you currently use chickpeas in your favourite vegetarian dishes like curries, stew or stirfries, but you haven't tried chickpea flour yet then it's your lucky day. Not only is chickpea flour a great alternative to any gluten free eating plan but it is packed with fibre, protein and no gluten like the whole chickpea would offer.
When I am going through gluten free alternatives with clients they are always confused by which grains they can eat and which foods they can use in replacement of gluten and wheat containing grains. Every since I started using chickpea (gram) flour for my wraps I have never turned back. They are so easy to prepare, take less then 3-5 minutes to cook and they add that extra special something to a morning breakfast or lunch.
Chickpea flour is also very versatile in that is doesn't really have any taste so you can mix into it whichever herbs or spices you feel like for your recipe and enjoy the added bit of nutrients to enjoy throughout the day. The wraps are best eaten fresh as they do crack and stick if you keep them in the fridge, but I haven't yet tried to freeze them and then heat them up to use when needed. Let me know if that works for you?
So here is my go to recipe for using chickpea flour for breakfast or lunch.
Makes 2 wraps
1/4 cup of chickpea (gram) flour
1/4 cup of filtered water
any spices or herbs you would like (I used mixed italian herbs, cumin, coriander or anything I have on hand - sometimes I just leave them plain)
Toppings - scrambled eggs or pouched eggs, watercress or rocket, sliced peppers, courgettes or cucumbers, 1/2 avocado and then I drizzle with fresh lemon juice or with tahini (my secret indulgience)
1. Place the chickpea flour into a small bowl and then add the water and herbs/spices if you are using them
2. Mix well until all the flour become more like a batter
3. Heat a pan over medium heat (small pan)
4. Pour half the mixture into the pan and allow it to cover the bottom
5. Allow to cook until some bubbles form then slowly release the sides of the wrap and flip to cook for another minute.
6. Then cook the other wrap and place them both on a plate
7. Cook your scrambled eggs if you are having eggs (you don't have to) and top with all your other ingredients sometimes instead of eggs I have 2 slices of parma ham cooked for 5 minutes in the oven to crisp them up.
8. Then drizzle with fresh lemon juice and tahini
This recipe will keep you going for hours throughout the morning or afternoon and gives you various vitamins and minerals to support your overall health and wellbeing.