This recipe which I whiped up last night for dinner was adapted from Oh She Glows, a wonderful blog for anyone who is leading a vegan lifestyle. Angela Liddon combines a variety of nourishing foods to really give the body what it needs to thrive. Although I do still eat 100% grass fed meat, organic poultry, eggs and fish, most of my meals are made up of at least 50-75% vegetables, nuts, seeds, quinoa, minimal fruits and occassionally brown rice, buckwheat and GF Oats.
I believe that beginning a new eating plan, whether by choice or because of health reasons, should be enjoyable and fun. Take this opportunity to try things you may not have thought of, or combinations that may not be the norm. You may be surprised what you are really capable of.
Here is my adapted Grain Free Quiche Recipe (Gluten Free):
1 cup ground almonds
1 cup ground GF Oats ( I just used my spice/coffee grinder for this)
1 tsp of mixed herbs
pinch himalayan salt
1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp warm water
1 tbsp olive oil
1-2.5 tbsp water
1/4 cup frozen organic peas
1/4 cup frozen organic corn
4 diced sundried tomatoes (soaked in water from dry)
1/4 cup of grated organic mature cheddar
1) Heat oven to 175C and grease a 20" tart tin with olive oil/coconut oil
2) Mix the flax with the water and let sit for 5 minutes until thick
3) Mix all the dry ingredients, then add the oil & flax egg, then slowly add in water and mix to combine until a crumble forms and it sticks together when pressed between your fingers
4) Line the tin with the mixture and push up around the edges
5) Bake 13-17 minutes until browned slightly (may vary depending on oven)
6) Meanwhile mix the 6 eggs in a large bowl, and add in the vegetables (can add in anything here really I would have added kale, peppers, courgette but I was using what I had)
7) Add grated cheese, tomatoes and cheddar and mix to combine
8) Take the base out of oven and top with the egg mixture
9) Turn up the temperature to 190C and then bake the quiche for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through
Serve with a large mixed leaf salad with any vegetables you would like.
Enjoy. Serves 4-6 people.